Thursday, February 9, 2012

Rainbow Angel Wings


What do you think? They are my colorful creation for an event in NYC, I simply can not wait to bounce around in them all weekend.
Here is what you need to make your very own set of wings:
  • Basic wings from the Christmas Tree Shop or a craft store. OR you could make your own wings from panty hose and coat hangers. I have yet to experiment with this, but I will be sure to post when I come up with an efficient method.
  • A bit of fabric (if you would like to extend the wings beyond the wire)
  • Hot glue gun & glue sticks
  • Lots of feathers
  • Patience
I took a basic set of wings ($2.99 at Christmas Tree Shop), added a small fabric triangle on to the bottom of each of the wings (to give them a better shape) and then I glued on rows of feathers (two rows for each color).



Feathers galore! It it is hard to find the whole spectrum of colors at one craft store. Be prepared to travel the universe if you want to find a rainbow of feathers. Or, just order them online and avoid a meltdown at JoAnne Fabric.

Here are the wings pre-rainbow. Notice the bottom corners of the wings, I extended them by gluing on little triangles of fabric.
I started out with the purple, there are actually only two rows of feathers here. Make sure you pay attention to where the bottoms of the feathers end up.
Now for the blue. As you can see, the amount of purple was cut in half once I covered it with the blue. Again, you want to pick out the right length feathers and pay attention to how they line up.
Green! I started to shift the feathers towards the middle. When I got to the top row I wanted it to look like all of the feathers were coming from the center of the wings.
Here comes the yellow. Thanks for the paparazzi shot, Joshua.
tada! As you can see, I did not plan out the orange and red very well, I would have liked a bigger section of orange. (My 2nd Chakra is bummed) :-)
Love and light!

No comments:

Post a Comment