Thursday, April 26, 2012

Crystal Castles


My buddies over at  Elektrick AVE Productions and Viral Sound commissioned me to sew some slip covers for these awesome crystal art installations. They are placed on stage and projected on with 3D mapping. We finished the project like ten minutes before they had to be brought over to Rock and Roll Resort, so I am not sure how much time the VJ had to play with the projections…but it looked awesome for the first go!! Here are some pictures of the process and a video from the festival, with the crystals in action. 
To make the structures themselves, you only need some 1/2" PVC tubing, joints and a hacksaw. 
Make sure you use super stretchy fabric for the slip covers, and it has to be white so you can project on it!
Reinforce the top of the slipcover with a stronger piece of fabric so the point stays pointy
Sew ties on each corner to help the cover stay in place
I used velcro to keep them closed, but if I could do it again I would use ties!

Ta da!


Here they are, in action! 

No comments:

Post a Comment